Saturday, October 24, 2009

Thank you Saigon!

My my look at the time, could it be true that I am in actual fact spending my fourth Saturday in Vietnam? What's that whole theory of time flying and having fun? hmmm

So Saigon, although I have bought a ticket to Hanoi following the maybe greener pastures idea, I have to say this about the city that so easily took me in with a their welcoming band of hooting and friendly locals: Yes, I am reminded of Hillbrow and even Maputo most of the time but I am in love with the energy this city oozes. I have new understanding of the sidewalk cafe concept... there is literally a little stand every few 100 meters selling mostly iced drinks and the best iced coffee I have ever had in all of my life ( I admit the condensmilk does have something to do with it). The new arrival in Saigon would be forgiven for thinking that there is a kids party being set up on every corner, as these stands usually are accompanied with tiny plastic chairs to sit on. Perfect for taking 5 minutes to relax and watch the world go by, and so much is going by. This is not exclusive to the coffee stands though, entire restaurants are set up this way. The budget traveler (like myself) will also realise rather quickly that these options are way cheaper than the regte egte restaurants that can also be found everywhere.

What I also just really appreciate about Vietnam so far is the authenticity. Go on to Google images type in Vietnam and you are assured to see those colonial hats, woman in traditional dresses and those (ahem) long poles they use to carry EVERYTHING and ANYTHING on each side ( honestly can't think of a better way to try and explain this, sorry). Thing is though that you arrive here and it really does still look this way. Nothing as disappointing as those tourist might be who arrive at O.R Tambo with no Zulu warrior to be spotted anywhere.

It is a combination of being a history nerd and the respect that I want to show to my host country that made want to go to the History museum today. So with all good intentions I was off on a motorbike taxi to the address the Lonely Planet book assured it would be... to start off it was not there, I then proceeded to consult a numerous amount of locals as to where this is. Note to self: The Vietnamese are known for being really friendly and also for their pride: This makes a bad combination for the traveler, every person I ask gave me different directions! I then realised that they in actual fact do not understand what the hell I am saying but will not admit it, so rather with all smiles point left then right then into where I started. Alas I have given up on this ideal.

I did however make it to the War Museum, rather intense but definitely worth the visit. I was warned that it is very biased, but I must say that this somehow restored balance to what ever idea I had about the American War here. I have only ever had the perspective of well written first hand account books and Hollywood impressive films, so this was good to realise that there are still some stories untold. As a South African Afrikaans citizen I was also just reminded that each and every country seems to have blood on their hands, some shame... seems like non of us (citizens of the world) will ever be able to cast the first stone...

One more week left of the course before I head off to Hanoi, traveling with 3 others: The all American gal, one of the most liberal Americans I have ever met and a Brit that has forever destroyed any vision I had that all British men are like Hugh Grant or Mr. Darcy.... Amazing bunch of people so I am looking forward to this trip, as well as the adventure of something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment