Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hanoi, Hunting and Happiness

Any daydream we might have harboured about Hanoi being a bit less honking-mad was quickly destroyed by our taxi driver on route from the airport, honking I kid you not at empty spaces. In Hanoi I have come to the conclusion that it is more about "I'm still alive while operating this motor in case the rest of road users might be wondering" (I breathe therefore I honk). I would like to say that I am getting a bit more used to it, like those small town people who stop hearing the town clock after living there for many years. This is not the case.

I have made the right decision in being all free spirited and moving to all new city because it seemed like a good idea at the time. I still have every reminder that I am in Vietnam but the two cities are different like Capitalism and Communism, well this is not really true, more an attempt at a bad joke. While I enjoyed the vibe and people in Saigon I find so much more in Hanoi to appreciate; like butterflies, big old trees lining the streets, parks with flowers, colors.. more colors somehow.

The attitude of the locals will take some getting used to. It is as if each city was given a fair amount of friendliness and rudeness. The Saigonians (yes I know this not right) have found a way to blend this into a nice mixture of being overall 'nice' locals. In Hanoi however they seemed to give the portions in oil and water, some of most helpful and rude people I have come into contact here, sorry to say more oil than water though.

Now with the admin part of this blog:
Last week in Saigon was filled with looking forward to getting outta there, trying to recall grammar rules for the exam (all forgotten again). Karaoke, which was the most fun I have had in Saigon, highlight being the united artists seeing our hearts out to 'We are the Phampion'. This kind of magic we attempted to recreate to a disappointing result as all karaoke places seemed to go into hiding the Friday night, maybe as to protect themselves from the bunch of crazy tourists.

I have the TEFL qualification in the bag giving me the power to walk around with a big smile on my face and the hope of getting more dollars than those dirty backpackers who also try and teach on the side to continue their dirty backpacker lifestyle. On the other hand it seems that I will need just that little bit more here than a TEFL qualification, degree, perfect English and a charming personality... a British/American/Australian Passport. For crying out loud South Africans speak better English than Australians! I would usually make the joke at the expense of the Yanks... but I have American friends now and rather like them. The Vietnamese do not seem to be too fond of the Africans.

I have started the job hunt and understand now better than ever why they say 'hunt'. Trekking the through the bushes (city and job sites), armed with weapons (CV, degree, TEFL, professional yet happy face), camouflaged (dressed to impress), now awaiting the kill... but how does my head end up on their wall as the prized kudu (token foreign teacher)?

In my ever optimistic self I have this vision how by my next blog I tell you all about my perfect high paying job, while planning to travel the rest of Asia and the world... mu ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment